- This event has passed.
Hear Our Vote: Voices of Resistance Rally
January 20, 2018 @ 12:00 pm - 4:00 pm
On January 20, 2018, the Women’s March SLO unites to reaffirm our commitment to building a positive and just future for all, to celebrate the spirit of resistance efforts over the past year, and to build momenturm for the 2018 election season. The San Luis Obispo Hear Our Vote rally is one of over 160 events worldwide honoring the movement that brought out 5 million marchers on January 21, 2017, in what is considered the largest single-day demonstration in U.S. history.
SPEAKERS (not in order):
- Elmy Bermejo – Keynote Speaker – Women’s rights, workforce development, immigration, disaster relief, small business & voting rights advocate; served in President Obama’s administration for 7 years
- Maria Larios Horton – Director of Migrant Education and immigrant rights advocate
- Lisa Graystone – Disability rights advocate
- Patricia Gordon, Ed.D – Civil rights and justice system reform advocate
- Jay Bettergarcia, Ph.D. – LGBTQIA rights advocate
- Natalie Risner – Environmental justice advocate
- Pamela Parker, M.D. – Physician and reproductive rights advocate
- Allene Villa – Former Union President and workers’ rights advocate
- Kathleen Marshall – Santa Ynez Band of Chumash Indians
PERFORMERS (not in order):
- Central Coast West African Drummers and Dancers – PreRally
- Samba Loca – PreRally
- Dian Sousa – Poet
- Cecilia Gervin – Spoken Word
- Ranchers For Peace – Music
- Los Osos Middle School Choir – Song
- Erin Inglish & Band – Concert at 3 pm
We must create a society in which women – including Black women, Native women, poor women, immigrant women, disabled women, Muslim women, lesbian queer and trans women – are free and able to care for and nurture their families, however they are formed, in safe and healthy environments free from structural impediments.
Women’s March San Luis Obispo Unity Principles